Monday, October 25, 2010

The Book That Changed My Life-- GREEN CHIC

GREEN CHIC: Saving the Earth in Style -- Christie Matheson

ref=dp_image_0.jpg



Nobody wakes up in the morning and says “I think I’ll harm the environment.”  But, for most of us, it’s enough just to get out the door in the morning without factoring in how our actions affect the earth.  Plus, let’s face it, until recently, eco-friendly was synonymous with hideous or tasteless. Of course, we’ve all heard enough about Global Warming that it really would be nice to become eco-friendly, but not at the expense of fashion or ease.  Thus, Christie Matheson’s book was a Godsend for me—she taught me how to be green and fabulous at the same time.

Green Chic is a really fun book.  Matheson doesn’t lecture, she talks to her readers like a friend.  Her writing style makes me want to call her up and ask her to take me shopping, which we can because she helps her readers learn where they can shop and how to find chic stuff and even provides brands and websites to help make the search easier. 

Matheson filled 212 pages with lessons about how to be green easily.  But, more than that, she illustrated how to be healthier and happier without harming the planet.  She changed my entire mindset simply by pointing out what exists all around me.  I don’t want to ingest harsh chemicals or dyes if I don’t have to.  I don’t want to breathe in pollutants that can make me sick.  Ignoring the environmental effects our everyday actions can have, the physical effects they have on our bodies are quite astonishing.

Of course, you may be thinking “whatever, I don’t care whether my food comes from a farm locally or some mega-farm.  Seriously, you’re just making a big deal out of nothing.”  There was a time I’d have agreed with you.  But, look, the fact is, we don’t know why someone gets cancer without any precipitating genetic factors.  If aluminum soda cans or PVC are known carcinogens, do I really want to put those in or near my body?  If eating meat from mega-farms increases my risk of ingesting diseases from the by-products the animal ingested, why would I subject myself to that? 

Today I went to Whole Foods.  I spent the majority of my visit in the fruits and veggies section and purchased only organic and/or locally grown items.  Before I read Matheson’s book, my main fruit source was the cherry flavoring in a lollypop!

Shopping has taken on a whole new meaning for me.  I consider each item I purchase and ask myself “do I need this and what effect will it have on my health and the environment?”  It’s a quick question and it’s helped me save a ton of money.  Now, that’s a green movement I can get behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment